Información de Contacto

Centro Paraguayo de Estudios Canadienses
Gral Santos 606 c/ Juan de Salazar.
Asunción, Paraguay

Telefax: (595-21) 202 630

Canada’s Study and Work Permits for International Students


Determine your eligibility

If you are enrolled in a study program lasting 6 months or more you must apply for a study permit.

To be eligible to study in Canada, you must:

Have been accepted by a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. A list of DLIs is available at study-institutions-list.asp;

Prove that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees as well as the living and return transportation costs for

yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada;

Be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.

Apply for a study permit

You must apply for a study permit from outside of Canada,

either online or in person at the visa office responsible for your

country or region. A list of visa application centres (VACs) is

available at

A document checklist, as well as all necessary forms are

available at Note that many visa offices

have specific local instructions on their respective websites

about which documents you must submit with your application.

Original documents in languages other than English or French

must be accompanied by a certified translation.

A list of countries whose citizens are required to provide in-person biometrics within 30 days of submitting their

application is available at

Obtain your study permit

Upon arrival in Canada, you must present all required documents to an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency

(CBSA). Once you meet all the necessary conditions, a study permit will be issued to you. The list of required documents is

available at

Renew your study permit

You can apply to renew your study permit should you wish to study longer. It is important to apply well before your permit

expires. More information on how to renew your study permit is available at

Work on and off campus

If you are a full-time student with a valid study permit pursuing an academic, professional, or vocational training program

that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, you will be:

Eligible to work on and off campus without a work permit;

Allowed to work on and off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during

regularly scheduled breaks;

Welcome to have your spouse or common-law partner also apply for a work permit.

If co-op or internship employment is an essential part, not forming more than 50%, of your program of study, you must apply

for a work permit after having successfully received your study permit.

More information is available at

Work while you study in Canada

To be able to work in Canada, you must be registered and enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI). You must also

get a Social Insurance Number (SIN); more information is available at

Stay and work in Canada after graduation

If you have graduated from a designated learning institution and are interested in working in Canada after graduation, you

can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). A Post-Graduation Work Permit may

be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. More information is available at

If you are interested in staying and working in Canada on a more long-term basis you can apply for a number of programs,

each with its own requirements. These programs include:

The Canadian Experience Class, learn more:

The Federal Skilled Worker Program, learn more:

The Provincial Nominee Program, learn more:

Other useful links The official Study in Canada portal of the Government of Canada. The official Government of Canada website for information on federal and provincial scholarships.

« Volver